For the last 7 years my family has been blessed to spend Thanksgiving with a wonderful family. We have seen our kids grow and time fly by.
Their one request is to get lemon meringue pies. And this year was not an exception. I baked 2 pies.
I couldn’t find the recipe I used last year which solidifies the reason why I started this blog in the first place. I want to keep all recipes in one place and be able to find them within a few keystrokes.
So this year I was inspired by the recipe I found from One Dashed Spiced at a Time.
Lemon Meringue Pie
- Store bought pie dough
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, slightly beat the egg yolks. Set aside.
- Using a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once mixture begins to boil, gradually stir about ½ cup into the bowl with the egg yolks.
- Transfer egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining lemon juice mixture. Whisk until well combined. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Once mixture begins to boil, cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butter. Transfer filling into the cooled pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a medium bowl, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla. Whip until foamy. (Tip: The egg whites will be easier to whip if you let them come to room temperature first.)
- Gradually add the sugar and continue whipping until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Spread the meringue on top of the lemon filling. (Tip: Make sure the meringue is touching the crust all the way around the pie.) Dust top of pie lightly with powdered sugar before baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until meringue turns light golden brown. Allow pie to cool to room temperature and then cover lightly and place it in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.
Enjoy, Bon Appétit, Buen Provecho! EdibleReflections.com